A complete, balanced meal in a single bowl – that’s the idea behind the Food Bowls. The foods that are used are healthy classics or are already known from other food trends such as clean eating and low carb or as superfoods.
What is new is that with the food bowls, the eye, which is known to eat, is just as delighted as the palate. And thanks to the bite-sized preparation, the bowls can practically only be consumed with a fork or spoon.
6 things that should be in a healthy food bowl
Food bowls can be designed individually. In order for them to contribute to a balanced diet, however, they should have roughly the following composition:
- Vegetables (raw vegetables): 30% to 50%
- good carbohydrates: 20% to 50%
- cooked vegetables: 15%
- Proteins: 10% to 20%
1. Raw food
When it comes to raw vegetables, it is best to use seasonal and regional products such as:
- Cocktail tomatoes
2. Cooked vegetables
The following are suitable for use as cooked vegetables, for example :
- Sweet potatoes
There are no limits to your imagination and taste.
The preparation can also be varied by not boiling the vegetables but cooking them in the oven.
The carbohydrates ensure that the bowl is full. In addition to cooked potatoes , cereals such as wheat, spelled, millet and oats or, alternatively, buckwheat, quinoa or brown rice are the right choice.
Legumes and tofu are ideal sources of protein . But meat lovers can also use animal protein.
The dressings are the secret of the food bowls. They can be prepared so diversely that the same basic ingredients take on a completely different taste.
Whether fruity, with peanut butter or Thai – there are countless interesting recipes.
Additional flavor variations can be achieved with toppings in the form of nuts, seeds, berries or sprouts.
- This is what German food is: Facts, Figures, Trends and Typical German Foods
- It’s not your fault if you’re too fat! German doctor EXPLAINS
Food bowls offer unlimited options for your dining pleasure
Anything that tastes good is allowed. Thanks to its versatility, the food bowl trend does not stand in the way of meaningful use of leftover.
In contrast to many other types of preparation, appearance plays a role that cannot be neglected when selecting the ingredients.
The best example of this are the so-called rainbow bowls, which stand out due to their color combination.
A smoothie bowl with chia seeds and fruit is suitable for breakfast.
Those who like it vegetarian or vegan will find numerous recipes for bowls with vegetables and tofu.
Can you lose weight with food bowls?
Weight reduction is not the goal of this nutritional concept, but a balanced composition of meals from healthy ingredients.
The big advantage of a food bowl diet, however, is that you have complete control over the amount of food you eat, which is an important factor in losing weight.
However, it is still crucial that you choose the right ingredients.
Free rice bowl with avocado and salmon recipe
Rice bowl with avocado and salmon
Ingredients for 4 servings
Ingredients for the topping
- 1 PC Pomegranate, small
- 50 gram Hazelnut kernels
- 1 Tbsp Sesame
- 1 Tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 pinch Cumin seeds
Ingredients for the rice
- 200 gram Whole grain rice
- 500 ml Salt water
- First preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Now roughly chop the hazelnut kernels, distribute them together with the sesame seeds, coriander and cumin seeds on the prepared baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Then take the tray out of the oven and let it cool down.
- In the meantime, bring the salted water for the rice to the boil in a saucepan, then add the rice and cook for about 40 minutes until the water has evaporated.
- Trim, wash and cut the broccoli into florets.
- Peel the garlic and chop it into small slices. Mix the broccoli and garlic with the oil and agave syrup and refine with salt, pepper and paprika powder.
- Now cut the pomegranate in half and carefully remove the seeds.
- Peel the avocado, cut in half lengthways and cut the pulp into slices.
- Wash the lemon, dry it with kitchen paper, rub the peel and mix with the sour cream.
- Cut the salmon into small, bite-sized strips or pieces.
- Finally, arrange the rice, the broccoli-garlic mix, avocado slices, the sour cream and the salmon pieces in beautiful bowls or soup plates and serve the rice bowl with avocado and salmon strips sprinkled with the pomegranate seeds and the nut mix.