After the digital identity card, there is now also the digital driving license in Germany. From now on, drivers can download their driver’s license to their cell phone and have it with them at all times. Find out what you should know about the new German digital driver’s license – and what is not yet working.
The digital driving license in Germany has been in the planning for a long time, and according to the German Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) it has been possible to download it onto a smartphone since September 23. This requires the “ID Wallet” app, which is available free of charge for Android and iOS. However, not all functions have been activated yet, and adding them to the app is not as easy as TECHBOOK has found out.
The digital driver’s license is still a prototype
As the BMVI reports, it is currently still the first stage in the final implementation of the digital driver’s license. The ministry itself is still talking about a prototype. Users can already save their driving license as a digital version in the app and have it displayed.
In the future, however, the functions of the digital driver’s license are to be expanded even further. For example, the BMVI is currently working with BMW and Sixt on various applications that are intended to simplify rental cars and car sharing, among other things. Until now, customers often had to present their driver’s license in a video identification process.
One of the greatest challenges in car sharing is the reliable validation of our customers’ driving licenses. The digital driver’s license solves this problem
The digital driving license is to become a full replacement of the classic card driving license. However, it will by no means replace this, but rather is an additional offer in view of the advancing digitization.
- What do you know about the German driving license test?
- The new EU directive will make 43 million driving licenses soon be invalid! (Mandatory driving license exchange)
- Speeding offenders and parking offenders will soon pay more fines!
- Vision Zero: EU Parliament demands 0.0 per ml for drivers – Zero tolerance for alcohol
Digital driving license in development since October 2020
The Federal Ministry of Transport has been working on the implementation together with the Federal Motor Transport Authority and the Federal Printing Office. The digital driver’s license, which is now available for the first time, is based on data from the central registers of the Federal Motor Transport Authority.
Downloading the driver’s license to the cell phone does not work in the test
Install the “ID Wallet” app from the Google Play Store.
Current problem: The app is not yet ready. It is therefore rated very poorly in the Play Store with only 1.6 stars.
- After installation, the app asks users to create a six-digit PIN code and confirm it again. The subsequent loading process can take a long time and give push error messages.
- The app offers user the ability to add a driver’s license to their digital documents. According to the application, an up-to-date ID card with online ID function and the associated PIN are required.
- Last but not least, NFC (Near Field Communication) must also be activated on the smartphone.
Important in this context: The digital driver’s license does not currently replace the existing driver’s license document .
- Confirm the data protection guidelines
- Scan ID card via NFC.
- The app will then as for additional information that you have to decide whether to allow access
How to apply for the digital copy of the driver’s license:
- You need your EU driving license, an NFC-enabled smartphone and an online ID card with a six-digit ID.
- Download the ID Wallet App from the Apple App Store or Google Play and create your “digital driver’s license” there.
3. Scan the QR code shown above. For the required identification by the KBA, you must share information from your online ID with the KBA. Please confirm the KBA’s request to share the following data: surname, first name, date of birth and place of birth. After confirmation and successful authentication, you can display your digital driver’s license in your wallet.
The answers to the most important questions about the German digital driver’s license
What does the digital copy of the German driving license card cost?
How do I get an online ID?
If you have an identity card in credit card format, you can have the online function activated at your citizens’ office.
You can use the PIN to transfer your ID card to “AusweisApp2” and generate the six-digit PIN for the driver’s license there.
Can I also get a digital copy with older driver’s licenses?
No, this function is only possible with driving licenses that have been recorded in the central driver’s license register since January 1, 1999 and that have the uniform EU driving license classes A to E.
Why am I not receiving a digital copy of my driver’s license?
There can be several reasons for this: Your driving license has been withdrawn and has therefore expired or there is a negative entry in the register of fitness to drive (driving ban or similar).
The ambiguous identification of the personal data is also a reason or simply a technical error.
If you have any problems, you can email us at: Support@my-digi-id.com
What if the data in the digital driver’s license copy is wrong?
Contact your driving license authority if you have incorrect or incorrect data
Which smartphone operating systems support the ID wallet?
Your smartphone must have at least Android 9 or iOS 14.
Where will my data be stored?
Your personal data is saved on your smartphone.
Exhibitors and auditors process your personal data in their internal systems in compliance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on their own responsibility.