Germany is a popular travel destination for people from all over the world. Many foreigners who travel to Germany require a visa. For citizens who require a visa, Germany offers visa types for various travel purposes. If you intend to travel to Germany to learn the language, you need to know about the language visa for Germany.
For travelers who want to travel to Germany or the entire Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within six months for tourist or business purposes, there is the Schengen visa type C. However, if you want to stay in Germany for longer than 90 days, to To take part in a language course, you can apply for a special language visa for Germany . We will show you which requirements you have to meet for a language course visa in Germany.
- Which visa do I need for a language course in Germany?
- What are the requirements for a German language visa?
- When do I apply for a preparatory language visa?
- Where can I apply for the language visa for Germany?
- What do I need to apply for a language visa?
- How expensive is a visa for a language course?
- Can I extend my language course visa?
- FAQ about the Germany visa application
Which visa do I need for a language course in Germany?
Depending on how long you stay in Germany for your language course, you need different visas:
- A Schengen type C visa for short-term stays: If your language course does not last longer than 90 days, you can also attend a language course with a Schengen visa
- A language course visa in the form of a national visa for long-term stays : If your German language course lasts longer than 90 days and you therefore want to stay in Germany for more than 3 months, you must apply for a language course visa in the form of a national D visa.
If you are applying for a German long-term visa for more than 90 days in order to attend a German course, you have two options for a language visa application:
- A voice visa Germany you need if you want to attend the German course for professional or personal reasons.
- A preparatory language visa is required if you are taking the course to prepare for studying at a university in Germany.
What are the requirements for a German language visa?
Would you like to take part in an intensive language course in Germany for more than 90 days for private or professional reasons ? Then apply for a language visa, also sometimes called an educational visa. Your planned German course must meet certain requirements in order for your language visa to be approved.
Language visa Germany – requirements for the language course:
- Course length limited to 3 to 12 months
- at least 18 lessons per week
When do I apply for a preparatory language visa?
If you want to study at a university in Germany , you should have a particularly good knowledge of German at level C1 and have passed the German language test for university entrance (DSH) at a university of your choice or the “TELC C1 Hochschule” test. So if you are attending a language course in order to be able to prove the necessary requirements for a subsequent study in Germany, then you apply for a preparatory language visa.
Note: If you want to study at a German university after completing the language course, you need a study visa or a student applicant visa. You can apply for the visa at the German diplomatic mission in your home country.
Where can I apply for the language visa for Germany?
You must personally submit your completed and signed application with all the necessary evidence for a language visa in Germany to the German diplomatic mission at your place of residence. Because you should generally expect a processing time of up to four months, we recommend that you contact the embassy or consulate in your home country as early as possible.
What do I need to apply for a language visa?
In addition to the completed application for a residence permit , you need other important documents such as a valid passport or a certificate from the language school in order to successfully apply for your language visa for Germany. So that nothing stands in the way of your language course in Germany, we have put together a checklist for you with all the necessary documents that you should hand in to the German diplomatic mission together with your application.
Checklist for your application:
- completed and signed application for a residence permit
- valid passport
- a recent biometric passport photo
- Proof of an intensive language course
- Certificate from the language school
- Contract with the language school
- Confirmation of the deposit of the course fee
- Health insurance for the duration of the language course
- Proof of secure livelihood
- Blocked account
- Submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form
- or a notarized declaration from the parents, with evidence of the parents’ income in the last six months
- Proof of main residence in Germany
- Certificate of registration of the apartment (confirmation of registration)
- Rental agreement and confirmation of move-in from the landlord
- Letter of motivation for attending the language course
- Proof of the fee paid for the visa
Which health insurance for my language visa?
In order to obtain a language visa, foreigners who come to Germany and Europe for more than 90 days need travel health insurance that meets the requirements of the EU and the services of the statutory health insurance companies in Germany.
Health insurance should:
- protect against high medical and hospital costs
- ensure patient repatriation to their home country
Why do I need a blocked account?
When applying for a visa, you must be able to prove that you have sufficient financial means. For this purpose, a so-called blocked account is set up with a German bank. You can decide for yourself where to set up the blocked account. It is important that the following requirements are met:
- The blocked account must have enough credit that the duration of the planned stay in Germany is financially covered. The standard amount that must be paid into the account is 10,236 euros.
- The holder may only withdraw EUR 853 per month from the blocked account.
How expensive is a visa for a language course?
The fees for a language course visa in Germany depend on the period of validity of the visa. Up to one year there are fees for the applicant in the amount of 100 €, beyond that of 110 €.
Can I extend my language course visa?
Your language course visa for Germany only entitles you to attend a language course and is initially granted for three months. In some cases, the language visa can be extended by a further 9 months at your local immigration office.
With your language visa Germany you are not allowed to:
- switch to a student or applicant visa,
- start university studies,
- apply for admission to the university,
- apply for a work permit or
- have a job.
FAQ about the Germany visa application
How long can you stay in Germany as a foreigner?
There are different residence permits for Germany. As a rule, a residence permit is issued for a maximum of three years.
What do you need for a visitor visa to Germany?
A fee of 80 euros is charged for applying for a visitor visa (Schengen visa). In addition, you must submit a completed and signed application as well as the necessary documents and evidence to the responsible German diplomatic mission in your home country.
How do you get a work visa for Germany?
A work visa for Germany must be applied for at the responsible German diplomatic mission in your home country before entering the country. In addition to the visa application, meaningful documents on qualifications and the intended activity (e.g. a specific job offer) as well as documents on the planned accommodation in Germany (e.g. rental agreement) must be submitted.