When planning your vacation in 2022, you should really take a very close look at the current state of corona restrictions. Where do can you go without vaccination? What rules apply when it comes to holidays for the unvaccinated?
Holidays for the unvaccinated: Where do which rules apply? Entry without vaccination? Does a quarantine apply? Is the destination still being flown to? And how about the return? Does quarantine then apply? Many then think about booking a destination where vaccination is not required. But do such destinations even exist? And then what are the rules? And the most important question: Are these goals even worthwhile?
- Vacation in times of Corona
- Where does the journey go without a previous vaccination ?
- What rules apply there?
- Where is information ?
- Corona pandemic: Can you go on vacation without vaccination?
- Holidays for the unvaccinated: Which countries allow entry without vaccination?
- Caribbean countries for a vacation without vaccination
- Are you thinking of a holiday in Asia?
- What about North, South and Central America?
- How is it in Europe? And what about the return trip?
- Return journey to Germany: compulsory testing and quarantine
Corona pandemic: Can you go on vacation without vaccination?
For many, going on vacation without having to be vaccinated against Covid-19 beforehand, taking a test, or even having to be in quarantine may sound like a great plan. However, you must be aware that the requirements for the outward journey can differ fundamentally from those for the return journey. It is, therefore, possible that you can go on holiday without vaccination or test and also without quarantine, but you will need a test and quarantine when you return home.
The first places to go are the websites of the Federal Foreign Office and the Robert Koch Institute, where you can find up-to-date information on entry requirements. However, you should check again before departure or departure to see if anything has changed so that you don’t get a nasty surprise when you arrive.
▶ Unvaccinated means that you can enter the country without proof of vaccination. But depending on the country, you may have to show a negative test before departure. Depending on the country, further tests after entry are also possible, possibly a quarantine, which is usually served at your own expense. A pre-departure test may also be arranged. Another difficulty, however, is that your holiday destination allows entry without vaccination, but staying in a hotel is forbidden. That sounds strange, but that is due to the regulations that have been put in place in the respective countries. And these may also vary from part of the country to part of the country. The same applies here: It is best to inform yourself in advance.
Holidays for the unvaccinated: Which countries allow entry without vaccination?
There are countries where it is possible. Here, however, attention must also be paid to whether these have been classified as high-risk areas.
- Egypt: Entry is only possible with a full corona vaccination or a negative PCR corona test that is no more than 72 hours old; when entering via Frankfurt Airport, it must not be older than 96 hours. A QR code on the test result can be requested, further information can be obtained from the Egyptian authorities. If the test result does not contain details on the date and time the swab was taken, entry is likely to be refused. Children under the age of six are exempt from the test requirement.
- Benin: When entering by air, a PCR test is carried out, travelers do not have to be in quarantine until the result is available. Another corona test must be carried out 24 to 72 hours before leaving Benin, which again incurs costs of CFA 25,000 (EUR 38.24).
- Botswana: Present a negative PCR test no more than 72 hours old on arrival, another rapid test will be carried out on arrival.
- Burkina Faso: Entry and exit via Ouagadougou Airport with a negative PCR corona test no more than five days old. Attention: Yellow fever vaccination required!
- the Democratic Republic of the Congo: Entry with a maximum 72-hour-old negative corona test. In addition: The covid-19 test is mandatory upon arrival at Kinshasa Airport (cost: 45 US dollars), pre-registration for this at the Congolese Ministry of Health. Exception for children up to eleven years. To leave the country, a negative corona test no more than three days old must be presented.
- Ivory Coast: Entry is only possible with a negative PCR corona test that is no more than 48 hours old and after prior online registration. At least one more PCR test follows upon arrival at the airport.
- Eswatini: Entry is only possible with a negative PCR corona test that is no more than 72 hours old; the Test is also possible at the airport or border crossings (45 euros). When leaving the country, a negative PCR test must be presented, which must not be older than 72 hours, otherwise, the exit will be refused.
- Gambia: Entry possible with a negative PCR test no more than 72 hours old on arrival.
- Guinea-Bissau: A negative PCR test no more than 72 hours old is required for entry, also for vaccinated and recovered people.
- Comoros: Negative PCR test no more than 72 hours old must be presented upon entry. The temperature is measured at the airport. If the body temperature is above 38 degrees Celsius, a PCR test is required.
- Cape Verde: Entry is only possible with the proof of vaccination, recovery, or negative corona test (for everyone over the age of twelve) and a completed health form. PCR test must be no more than 72 hours old, rapid antigen test no more than 48 hours. Those who have been vaccinated and those who have recovered also need a corona test.
- Liberia: Entry with a negative corona test no more than 96 hours old, another test is carried out on site (75 US dollars). Completion of the “Health Screening Arrival Form” is required in advance, paid app must be downloaded for this. A second test is carried out on arrival at Monrovia Airport (costs: around 75 US dollars), and a negative PCR test must also be presented on departure (not older than 72 hours).
- Mozambique: Entry is only possible with a maximum of 72 hours old negative PCR test, otherwise a quarantine obligation applies. However, a travel warning applies here due to possible terrorist activities.
- Mali: Entry is only possible with a negative PCR corona test that is no more than 72 hours old, a valid visa, and a completed health form.
- Namibia: Submission of a negative corona PCR test no more than 72 hours (from swab) old, also from vaccinated people. Children under the age of five are exempt. People who have been vaccinated also need a negative PCR test.
- Zambia: Entry is only possible with a negative PCR corona test that is no more than 72 hours old, only children under the age of five are excluded. A copy of the PCR test must be uploaded to the Global Haven System for authentication before entry.
- São Tomé and Príncipe: Entry is only possible with a negative PCR corona test that is no more than 72 hours old.
- Seychelles: online registration and permit required (cost: 10 euros); A corona test must be presented upon entry, which is no more than 72 hours old at departure.
- South Africa: Travelers from Germany may enter the country on presentation of a negative corona test that is no more than 72 hours old (most airlines require a PCR test). In addition, a travel health questionnaire must be completed via the COVID SA Travel System platform for entry. In addition, tourists should install the Corona app “Covid Alert South Africa” on their cell phones, show travel health insurance and they must present proof of accommodation including address.
- Sierra Leone: Travelers must register online in advance, proof of a negative corona test that is no more than 72 hours old is required. Another rapid test and PCR test are mandatory upon entry, the cost is 80 euros and must be paid before entry. Those who have not been vaccinated must be quarantined until the test result is available.
- Sudan: Entry is only possible with a maximum of 72 hours old negative PCR test. For travelers transiting through South Africa, Great Britain, and the Netherlands, a 14-day domestic quarantine is mandatory upon arrival in Sudan. However, a general travel warning from the Federal Foreign Office applies here due to possible hostilities.
- Tanzania: Online registration required 24 hours before entry, as well as a negative PCR test no more than 96 hours old. Additional rapid test upon arrival for travelers from countries with high infection rates, Germany is currently not one of them.
- Uganda: Negative PCR corona test no more than 72 hours old must be submitted. An additional PCR test at Entebbe Airport is mandatory. The fees are $30. After several bomb attacks, travel is not recommended here either.
Caribbean countries for a vacation without vaccination
Entry for unvaccinated persons is possible on the following islands in the Caribbean , but they are considered high- risk areas:
- Aruba: Digital enrollment and health questionnaire must be completed. There is also a test requirement. A PCR test that is no more than 72 hours old before entry is accepted. On-site PCR tests are also possible with prepayment, but then a quarantine is necessary until the result.
- Bahamas: For an electronic Bahamas Health Visa, a negative PCR test will be required from January 7th for all travelers aged two years and older – regardless of vaccination status. An antigen test follows on the 5th day of the trip.
- Bonaire: Proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test not older than 48 hours is required for entry.
- Curaçao: Entry card must be filled out online, negative corona test is required. PCR tests must be carried out within 48 hours before departure, antigen tests within 24 hours. Children under the age of 12 who do not show any symptoms of Covid-19 do not have to undergo a PCR or antigen test.
- Haiti: A negative corona PCR test that is no more than 72 hours old must be presented upon entry, otherwise there is a risk of a 14-day quarantine. Due to the current political situation, the Federal Foreign Office has issued a travel warning.
- Sint Maarten (Dutch part of St. Martin): Corona health insurance, online registration, and negative corona test (PCR test maximum 72 hours old) are mandatory upon entry.
- Dominican Republic: Random Covid-19 tests upon entry – or proof of vaccination or proof of a PCR test no more than 72 hours old. Online registration is required for entry and exit.
- St. Lucia: online registration and negative PCR test (maximum three days old) are mandatory; Stay only allowed in a certified hotel, the hotel premises may only be left for tours with certified providers.
Are you thinking of a holiday in Asia?
You can also enter Asia as an unvaccinated person without quarantine. Nevertheless, this can change daily, and the classification of whether a high-risk area or not should be checked carefully beforehand.
- Armenia: Corona test no more than 72 hours old (result in English, Russian, or Armenian) or proof of vaccination and a declaration of health status required for entry.
- Georgia: Travelers must present a negative PCR test no more than 72 hours old and be retested on the third day at their own expense. There is also an obligation to register before entering the country. A distinction is made between vaccinated and unvaccinated, here you have to check carefully.
- Jordan: A QR code and a negative PCR test that is no more than 72 hours old must be presented upon entry, and another corona test is required upon arrival for a fee. Health insurance must be shown.
- Kazakhstan: Travelers must present a negative corona test no more than 72 hours old. “Each traveler must also fill out a questionnaire upon entry. In this questionnaire, travelers must state where they have been in the last 14 days before entering Kazakhstan and whether they have been in contact with a person infected with COVID-19. Travelers must state their whereabouts in Kazakhstan and their contact details,” according to the Federal Foreign Office. A travel warning applies due to the prevailing situation there.
- Kyrgyzstan: Entry possible on presentation of a negative corona test that is no more than 72 hours old or vaccination against Covid-19.
- Maldives: Online registration and a negative PCR test no more than 96 hours old are required, as well as proof of booked licensed hotels for the entire stay.
- Sri Lanka: Online registration required for a visa; a maximum of 72 hours old negative PCR corona test required upon entry. A room must be booked in a licensed hotel for the first 14 days of stay to obtain the visa. “For all unvaccinated travelers aged 12 and over, a PCR test is mandatory upon arrival at the ‘Safe and Secure Level 1’ hotel,” writes the Federal Foreign Office. The costs for this are to be paid by the traveler via the website of the tourism authority.
- Turkey: Online registration before entry and a negative PCR test no more than 72 hours old or an antigen test no more than 48 hours old is required. Anyone who has been vaccinated or recovered only needs the corresponding corona proof. However, you should note the travel warning from the Federal Foreign Office.
- United Arab Emirates: Proof of international health insurance is mandatory, quarantine-free entry into Dubai is possible on presentation of a PCR test that is no more than 72 hours old.
What about North, South and Central America?
While the United States and Canada are only open to vaccinated travelers, some countries in North and Central America allow unvaccinated travelers to enter the country. Below:
- El Salvador: Negative corona PCR test no more than 72 hours old or proof of full corona vaccination required.
- Honduras: Online registration and a negative corona test no more than 72 hours old or proof of vaccination are required.
- Nicaragua: Entry allowed with a maximum of 72 hours old negative PCR test. This must be sent to the airline before entry so that they can obtain the approval of the Nicaraguan authorities.
Panama and Mexico also allow unvaccinated people to enter the country, but are currently considered high-risk areas, as does Venezuela. There is therefore a test and quarantine obligation when returning to Germany. The quarantine can be suspended after the fifth day with a negative corona test.
- Panama: Upon entry, a negative Covid-19 test no more than 72 hours old or proof of vaccination must be presented.
- Mexico: Entry is possible without restrictions, filling out the “Cuestionario de pasajero” (questionnaire to identify risk factors) is mandatory. Entry is strictly controlled, there is a general travel warning from the Federal Foreign Office.
- Venezuela: Corona test no more than 48 hours old must be presented upon entry, a second PCR test is carried out upon arrival. Online registration is necessary. The Federal Foreign Office has also issued a general travel warning for Venezuela due to the situation there.
This list might not be complete and is not guaranteed.
How is it in Europe? And what about the return trip?
To make it short: Most European countries allow entry with a Covid-19 vaccination. Some countries allow entry without vaccination, but due to the applicable rules in the hotels, it can happen that you are standing in front of closed doors. You can travel to:
- Portugal (including the island of Madeira and the Azores)
- Ireland (However, this can change frequently, at the moment it is either vaccinated, recovered or tested)
However, a negative PCR test is required.
Return journey to Germany: compulsory testing and quarantine
All those returning from a trip must be able to present one of the following proofs when entering Germany: a current corona test (PCR or antigen) or proof of a full vaccination or proof of recovery. Children under the age of 6 are exempt from the test requirement. These rules apply to entries from all countries.
The digital entry declaration is only required when entering from a high-risk or virus variant area. Below you will find which stricter rules apply to entry from a virus variant or high-risk area.
Entry from high-risk areas (UPDATED 30.01.2022)
- Anyone entering Germany from a high-risk area must be able to present one of the following proofs when entering Germany: a current corona test or proof of a full vaccination or proof of recovery.
- The test may be taken no earlier than 48 hours before entry. The result must be presented at the request of the carrier (e.g. the airline) upon departure, the competent authority upon entry, or during a police check.
- Anyone who is only able to present a corona test when entering the country from a high-risk area, but no complete vaccination and no proof of recovery must be quarantined immediately after entry and isolated for 10 days.
- The quarantine can be ended prematurely with a negative test five days after entry at the earliest. Example: If you enter Germany on February 1st, free testing is possible from February 7th.Attention: Corona tests (citizen tests) are again offered free of charge in Germany. These citizen tests are sufficient to test yourself out of a returnee quarantine.
- Children under the age of 6 are exempt from the test requirement, but not from the quarantine requirement: for them, the quarantine ends automatically on the fifth day after entry. Example: If you enter Germany on January 1st, the quarantine will automatically end on January 7th.
- The same rules apply to children from the age of 6 as to adults .
- High-risk countries are currently (among others): Egypt, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Brazil, Belarus/Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Bulgaria, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Greece, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, India, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde/Cabo Verde, Qatar, Colombia, Comoros, Kosovo, Croatia, Cuba, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Maldives, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Nepal, Netherlands , North Macedonia, Norway,Austria (with the exception of the municipalities of Mittelberg and Jungholz and the Rißtal in the municipality of Vomp and Eben am Achensee), Oman, Panama, Peru, the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, São Tomé and Príncipe, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Czech Republic, Turkey, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Hungary, Uruguay, USA , Venezuela, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Cyprus.