Which Schengen visa health insurance do you need to choose for a national visa?


Share post:

Are you planning a long-term stay in the Schengen area and want to apply for a D visa (also known as a national visa)? For a long-term visa, you need to take out the appropriate Schengen visa health insurance. 

The health insurance must cover the entire period of your trip and meet all the criteria for a Schengen visa! When choosing your Schengen health insurance, you should therefore pay attention to the terms and benefits. Make sure the insurance covers long-term stays of up to 6 months and is Schengen Visa-compliant. Find out why visa health insurance for a national long-term visa in the following article is necessary and what services you should look for.

national visa

What is a national visa for the Schengen area?

There are several types of Schengen visas for non-EU citizens who require a visa. The classic Schengen tourist visa (also called C visa or Schengen visa type C), for example, is only issued for a maximum of 90 days. 

If you want to stay longer, you have to apply for a so-called national visa (also called D visa). With a national visa, you can usually stay in the Schengen country of your choice for up to 6 months , in some cases for up to a year. With a national visa, you can also travel to all other Schengen countries for 90 days (within a period of 180 days), which is why this visa is also known as the Schengen Type D visa  .

Important: In contrast to the Schengen type C visa for short stays, you can only apply for a national visa from the country in which you want to stay longer. If you want to go to Germany for more than 3 months to study, you must apply for the visa at the German embassy or the German consulate in your home country!


Who needs to apply for a national visa?

In principle, all non-EU foreigners have to apply for a national visa if you intend to stay in a Schengen country for more than 3 months. Almost all citizens have to apply for a visa before entering the country . Only a few citizens can apply for a national visa for Germany after entering the country .

These include:

  • Australia
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Republic of Korea
  • United States of America

Note:  Please note that these requirements may vary slightly from Schengen country to Schengen country due to bilateral agreements . For example, Japanese people who want to travel to Austria for 6 months do not need to apply for a visa! However, if the Japanese want to travel to Germany for a longer period of time, you must apply for a national visa.

national visa

For what purposes can I apply for a long-term visa?

A national visa is granted in the following cases:

  • Family reunification: Your spouse or children should move in with you
  • Marriage: You intend to get married or live in a same-sex partnership
  • Work: You take up employment
  • Studies: You would like to complete a language course, study or academic activity that lasts longer than 3 months
  • You are planning to start work: this also includes au pair activities and internships!

Why do I need health insurance for a national visa?

You need visa health insurance when applying for a Schengen visa, regardless of whether it is a type C short-term visa or a type D long-term visa. This guideline is provided by the European Visa Code. You must enclose proof of insurance with your visa application. Without health insurance, your visa will be refused.

With a visa health insurance for the entire period of the trip, the Schengen states protect themselves against the high costs that they will have to face if a traveler gets in need, is not insured and has no financial means to cover the costs of hospital, doctor visits or repatriation to pay.

Note: If you start work immediately after entering the Schengen country, you will in most cases be legally insured through your employer. Even as a student with your own place of residence, you can take out statutory or private health insurance on site. In these cases, clarify with the embassies whether you still need to show visa health insurance for the visa application!

What criteria does Schengen insurance have to meet for a national visa?

The insurance for a national visa must be valid in the country in which you live, but also in all other countries in the Schengen area. Why?  Since with a type D Schengen visa you are generally allowed to travel to all other Schengen countries for up to 90 days (within a period of 180 days) and must also be covered there. 

In addition, as with the Type C Schengen visa, the insurance must cover all medical costs, but for a longer period of time.

Visa health insurance must meet the following criteria to apply for a national visa :

  • Assumption of medical costs and costs for hospital stays with a minimum coverage of € 30,000
  • Repatriation in an emergency or in the event of death
  • Valid in the entire Schengen area
  • Coverage of the entire travel period
  • Recognition of the insurance at the embassies and consulates
national visa

Which visa health insurances are suitable for national visas?

Visa health insurance for long-term stays is necessary if you want to stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days within a period of 180 days. The best Schengen visa travel insurance are suitable for national visas up to 180 days or 6 months .

  1. Have a minimum coverage of up to € 30,000
    Most basic Schengen visa health insurance cover your medical costs (visits to the doctor, medication, tests and hospital stays) for 180 consecutive days in the Schengen area. With a minimum coverage of € 30,000 for all medical costs as well as a guaranteed repatriation in an emergency, it meets all the criteria required to obtain a national type D visa for up to 6 months. You can take out our visa health insurance for D-Visa from as little as € 0.99 per travel day.
  2. They offer other extended comprehensive services
    The more premium insurance offers coverage for your medical costs up to € 100,000 (visits to the doctor, medication, tests and hospital stays) in the Schengen area and also in countries that do not belong to the Schengen area. Repatriation in the event of an emergency or death is also included. The insurance coverage should meet all the criteria for a national type D visa up to 6 months and is accepted by all embassies and consulates. 


Expaturm aims to help educate Expats in Germany on key issues that they will have to deal with while living in Germany by providing everything you need to know about Banking, Healthcare, Lifestyle, and Housing in Germany



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

8 TV series to help you learn and improve your German

Learning German is easy! Watch these 8 TV series to learn and improve your German. Learn and improve your...

Sights in Lower Saxony: The 10 best excursion tips

Lower Saxony has a multitude of sights that you shouldn't miss on your next visit. From museums to parks...

Go to Cannstatter Volksfest or Oktoberfest? Wasen or Wiesn? What’s the difference?

Wasen and Wiesn - twins or siblings? A week before the Cannstatter Volksfest, the Oktoberfest in Munich opens. For...

The 21 most beautiful lakes in Germany – to swim in!

Corona will soon be gone! So it's time to find the best lakes in Germany with the best...