The federal and state governments in Germany recently tightend the corona rules. From now on, unvaccinated people will no longer be able to shop everywhere. But the regulation excludes basic services and that causes confusion. Which retailer is considered to be the basic supplier and who is not?
Unvaccinated people: The 2G rule is now gradually taking effect in shopping. The state governments are serious. Some federal states have already implemented the tougher measures in German trade.
Where does 2G not apply when shopping?
The 2G rule for shopping does not apply for the time being
- in the supermarket (Edeka, Rewe , Familia, Real, Hit, Kaufland,net Market, distinctive, globe, emperor, consumption, combi, v market),
- at the discounter (Aldi Süd, Aldi Nord, Lidl, Netto Marken-Discount, Norma, Penny and Co.),
- at all food wholesalers (such as Metro or Kastner),
- at all delicatessen dealers (including Turkish , Russian , Greek , Spanish food markets, Asian markets and others)
- in all organic markets (Alnatura, ebl-naturkost, Bio Company, Basic, Denns BioMarkt, VollCorner, SuperBioMarkt or Naturgut),
- at all weekly food markets ,
- in all farm shops ,
- at all health food stores (regional suppliers and chains such as health food stores , Vitalia and others),
- at many drugstore stores (dm, Rossmann, Budni and Müller; exception applies if toys, CDs and perfume are widely available in the range
- at all butchers (regional suppliers and chains)
- at all fish sellers (regional suppliers and chains)
- at all bakeries and pastry shops (regional suppliers and chains such as Kamps, Bachmeier, Ihle, Hofpfisterei, Back-Factory, BackWerk, Görtz or Lila Bäcker)
- in pharmacies (regional operators and chains such as DocMorris)
- in baby stores (regional operators and chains such as Babyone or BabyMarkt)
- at coffee , tea and wine merchants (for example Jacques’ Wein-Depot or Tchibo; 2G or 2G Plus only applies to tasting)
- in the bookstore (regional operators and well-known chains),
- in all flower shops (florists, flower shops, plant shops or nurseries) and not
- at all beverage markets (regional suppliers or chains)
Where else does 2G not apply?
In addition, no evidence will be provided at the
- at the optician
- at the hearing care professional,
- in the medical supply store,
- in cleaning,
- in the laundromat,
- at the kiosk (with or without tobacco sales)
- Magazine and newspaper dealers (with or without a lottery acceptance point)
Where does 2G get complicated?
1. Hardware stores
The situation is complicated at home improvement stores. The states themselves decide whether DIY stores are among the basic suppliers in the retail sector. In Baden-Württemberg no evidence is required upon admission, in North Rhine-Westphalia apparently they are.
▶ Expaturm recommends: Vaccinated and convalescent should take their evidence with them. Unvaccinated people should check in advance on the network what is valid in their region.
2. Department store
In a Galeria-Karstadt-Kaufhof branch, customers can shop in the food sector without having to provide proof. But if you want to buy clothes or household goods, 2G applies. Companies must introduce separate access points here and control them accordingly.
3. Perfumery or drug store
A Müller drugstore in Heidenheim (Baden-Württemberg) has to implement 2G. Reason? In addition to drugstore items, the branch also sells toys, CDs and other goods that are not part of everyday use. Because drugstore items are not the core of the company, the branch has to implement 2G.
4. Non-food discounters
Non-food discounters like Tedi, Kik or Action are not among the basic suppliers. But there is a catch. In some rural regions, retailers are the only option for customers to stock up on household goods, clothing or even food (snacks). Some municipalities could grant them the right to circumvent the 2G rule with a special permit.
Companies that only offer sewing and tailoring services can pass as basic suppliers. However, if the company sells shoes or clothing (from first or second hand), for example, then the 2G rule applies, according to the responsible Bavarian Ministry of Health on request.
Unvaccinated people should know where 2G applies when shopping
All stores that only sell clothes, shoes, perfume, toys, fabrics, electronics, carpets, wall paints, furniture, kitchens, televisions and no groceries are not basic suppliers. So you have to implement 2G. These include chains such as:
- Ernstings Family
- Galeria Karstadt Kaufhof
- Media market
- Furniture Höffner
- new Yorker
- TK Maxx
- XXXL Lutz
Which documents apply?
The evidence is checked by employees or security personnel hired for this purpose.
Vaccinated persons need either the digital, the printed or the yellow vaccination card.
Digital apps on smartphones that are accepted include:
- Stop Corona (Austria)
- TousAntiCovid (France)
- and others.
If you are recovered, you need your positive PCR result or the quarantine order from which a Covid 19 disease emerges. The corona infection must be at least 28 days ago and must be a maximum of six months old.
Digital versions of the vaccination and recovery certificates as well as their paper versions in German, English , French , Italian or Spanish language. Almost all countries of the European Union print out the vaccination certificate in English in addition to the national language.
The following documents are generally accepted to establish identity:
- Identity card
- Driver’s license
- Health insurance card (with photo) or
- Student ID (with photo).