If you come from Russia and want to visit Germany, you need a visa to enter Germany from Russia.
Since there is no agreement between Russia and Germany that releases you from a visa requirement, Russians have to apply for a Germany visa . In this article, we will explain what you need to know about the Russia – Germany visa.
- Do Russians need a visa for Germany?
- Where do I apply for a visa for Germany in Russia?
- Visa Russia Germany: How can I invite relatives to Germany?
- What documents do Russians need for a German visa?
- Visa processing time Russia – Germany
- How much does a German visa cost for Russians?
- FAQ: Visa Germany for Russians
Do Russians need a visa for Germany?
There is a visa requirement for Russians. If you come for a shorter stay of up to 90 days, a normal Schengen visa is sufficient. With the Schengen type C visa, you can travel from Russia to Germany and stay there for a maximum of 90 days.
So if you want to go on vacation to Germany, a tourist visa Germany for Russians is sufficient, which is issued in the form of a Schengen visa. The same applies to short visits and business trips. In addition to Germany, the Schengen visa also entitles you to travel to 25 other countries in the Schengen area.
If you are planning a long-term stay in Germany that is more than 90 days , then you need a D-Visa, the so-called national visa.
Where do I apply for a visa for Germany in Russia?
You can submit your application for a national visa or Schengen visa at:
- the German Embassy in Moscow
- at the Consulate General in Yekaterinburg
- at the Consulate General Kaliningrad
- at the Consulate General Novosibirsk
- at the Consulate General in Saint Petersburg
You have to make an appointment for this , as your fingerprints will be taken and your personal appearance is necessary. If you are traveling from Russia to Germany with your entire family, you must make an appointment for each person.
However, the Federal Foreign Office warns against longer waiting times due to limited capacities. So plan your visa appointment well in advance of your planned departure and make sure you have enough time!
Alternatively, visas for Russians to Germany can also be obtained from the contract partner of the German embassy Visametric . Visa application offices can be found in the following Russian cities:
- Nizhny Novgorod
- Rostov on Don
- St. Petersburg
If you are traveling with more than ten people, you need to make an appointment . This saves you the trip to the German embassy or the consulates general, but you have to expect additional fees for this service .
Note: Visametric generally processes all applications for Schengen visas for Russia to Germany. If it is a national visa, it is not possible to apply for a visa from Visametric for all purposes of residence. Find out more in advance from the respective branch.
Visa Russia Germany: How can I invite relatives to Germany?
If you live in Germany and want to invite family and friends to Germany, you must apply for a visitor visa to enter Germany from Russia. The invitation letter explains the reason for the invitation. The document is submitted with the visa application.
What do you need to be invited to Germany?
For an invitation for a visa from Russia to Germany, the inviting host can issue the invitation in simple written form . There are templates and samples of what an invitation letter to Germany can look like on the Internet. Good to know: There is no special form for an invitation letter , instead the content and the reason for the visit are more important!
Entry from Russia to Germany: special feature of visitor visa
If it is a visitor’s visa and you will live privately in Germany or if your trip from Russia to Germany is even financed by a sponsor in Germany, you must submit a declaration of commitment from the inviting person in addition to the letter of invitation.
The inviting host or sponsor must make an appointment with the local immigration authorities to have their identity and creditworthiness checked.
An invitation letter is also necessary for a business trip . Have an official letter from the inviting company confirm the reason for the trip and, if applicable, the assumption of the travel costs with an official declaration.
What documents do Russians need for a German visa?
To apply for a Schengen short stay visa, the first thing you need to do is complete the application form . You will also need the following documents:
- A passport that is valid for three months after your return and has space for the visa sticker (two pages of ID) and a copy of the first page of the passport with your personal data
- Two recent biometric passport photos (35mm x45mm) against a light background on which you are not wearing any headgear
- Travel health insurance that is valid in the entire Schengen area , covers the entire duration of the trip and has a minimum coverage for medical emergencies of € 30,000
- Proof of accommodation : Confirmed reservation under your name (hotel, youth hostel or campsite)
- Proof of travel: Confirmed plane tickets, train or bus tickets . If you are traveling by car, you must provide a detailed travel plan with the documents for your vehicle (copy of the driver’s license and vehicle registration document as well as the international insurance policy)
- Proof of financing : bank statements for the past three months, savings account or letter of commitment
- Proof of professional activity : employer letter, student certificate, pension certificate or, as a self-employed person, an entry in the commercial register or registration as an entrepreneur
- Proof of legitimate interest in returning to the Russian Federation : close relatives, real estate or vehicles
Note: If you want to stay in Germany for more than 90 days with a Germany visa for Russians or if you want to start work, you must apply for a national visa. Depending on the purpose of your trip, you may need to provide other or additional forms for your visa application.
Visa processing time Russia – Germany
It normally takes two weeks to process a Schengen visa application . Prepare yourself well and submit all the necessary documents so that the process runs as quickly as possible.
Russians can apply for a German visa up to three months before they want to start their journey. In the event of an emergency, an express visa could even be applied for. But this incurs higher costs! For a national visa, however, you have to expect several months to process.
How much does a German visa cost for Russians?
For a visa for Germany from Russia, you pay 35 euros for a short-term visa (Schengen visa type C). For the express visa, double the price is due, so that you are priced at 70 euros. The national visa for Russians to Germany costs 75 euros.
If you apply for your German visa in Russia via the official partner Visametric, you will have to pay an additional 20 euros.
FAQ: Visa Germany for Russians
What does a visa for Germany in Russia cost?
The consulate fee for a type C Schengen visa is 35 euros. Citizens of the Russian Federation pay less than other countries due to a visa facilitation agreement. If you need the C-Visa as an express, it costs 70 euros. The Schengen visa type D (national visa for Germany) costs 75 euros.
How long can a Russian stay in Germany?
With the Schengen type C visa, a Russian can stay in Germany for a maximum of 90 days. The 90/180 day rule should be considered here: Citizens of the Russian Federation can stay in Germany and the Schengen zone for a maximum of 90 days within six months. For a longer stay you need the Schengen visa type D – the national visa.
What do you need for an invitation to Germany?
The content of the invitation letter is more important than the form. Certain information is absolutely necessary in the letter of invitation to Germany. This includes the personal data of the visitor and the inviting host with information such as surname, first name, date of birth, place of birth, home address and passport number.